OT(sort of): hwclock w/ Compaq, playing ".ram"'s

Hi There.
I can't seem to get the cmos clock set doing:
hwclock --set --date="foo/bar..."
I figure maybe my compaq mobo has some strangeness in it's
CMOS?? It's a EP 6350, PII/350, using (AFAIK) a proprietary
compaq-bios.
Another question:
When I'm surfing the 'net and run into a .ram file, Netscape
wants to save it to disk, instead of playing it. It's
supposed to be a soundfile, but I've never seen that
particular format before. Is there a .ram-playing-util in
Linux?
Best Regards
Vitux

--