Re: sendmail

> i have no idea.  is this dealt with in a Ruleset or with a
> command/option?  i've set the following in the .cf file:

you should configure it to be a null client using the /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
file.  the feature you want is described at:

        http://www.sendmail.org/m4/features.html

one thing to be aware of is that a null client is a special configuration.
you can't make any other configuration changes, it's a special, bare bones
config.  for example it's impossible to have any anti-spam rules in a null
client config so if this is going to be a machine which is accessible by the
world you probably don't want to use it.  use one of the other mechanisms i
described.

that's the idea. i don't want to deal with anything. this host will simply be a box where people in an office will send mail out (which should be relayed to the actual mail server) so there's no need to do anti-spam business on this machine.

> # hub host (to which all mail is sent)
> DHpaladin.srn.com
>
> # `smart' host
> DSpaladin.srn.com
>
> # who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=M)
> DMsrn.com

masquerading and smart host configs WILL NOT work in a null client
config.  i don't think this will be causing your problem but it could be
confusing sendmail into doing something whacky.

didn't know that, but it doesn't appear to be causing the problem as it still persists ever after removing smart and masq.

> i thought perhaps this message was because sperison99@hotmail.com is a
> non-existent user on the target (paladin.srn.com).

unless you've told your sendmail that hotmail.com is a local domain (by
putting it into your /etc/mail/sendmail.cw file or a line into
/etc/mail/mailertable) this is not the case.  if you have done that then you
need to remove that.

haven't touched the .cw file or the mailertable files.