Choosing private domain name

Hi,

some time ago, I had a private domain name (in-bonn.de) for my
stand-alone PC with dialup connection and one of the numeric
IP-adddresses, which are reserved for this purpose.

As some ftp servers on the net won't let me access them (among others
the german CTAN, ftp.dante.de -- german ftpp admins seems to be more
picky about this) because not finding my domain in DNS, so I changed
my domain name to that of my university. ftp access worked since then.

The problem was then, that I couldn't manage to configure any of the
many MTAs (exim, sendmail, qmail) to accept mail for the domain
uni-bonn.de. All of them wanted to see users with this domain name in
their address as local, so the mail was rejected or vanished without
even to show up in the spool.

So which is the normal way to choose a local domain name for a stand
alone PC? Any way to come out of this absurd situation?

Thanks for your answers,
joachim