Re: kernel panic: unable to mount root fs...

OK. I booted from the rescue floppy and ran fsck on /dev/hda2. Judging by the messages that
streamed by, there were a lot of problems that were fixed. However, when I went back to boot up
the system, I got another mess of nasty looking messages:

INIT: No inittab file found
Enter runlevel:   <I tried everything from 0 to 3 and got the same result...>
INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

and it stopped right there. I booted back in with the rescue floppy, and checked out mu /etc
directory, and it was full of all sorts of strange files, many of them being *.html files.

What<s my best option here? Should I just start from scratch? Is it possible to re-install and
re-configure the system with a good chance of keeping everything I have installed so far?

John Kiff