CVS question

I have been using cvs to track development of the my latest tk/perl
application. I have been coding along starting with version 1.1 cruising
along and making commits along the way. I got up to version 1.7 when I realized
that I wanted to back up to version 1.6 make some changes, and continue from
there.

Here is how I backed up. I was on version 1.7, so I deleted the file I had. I then
did a cvs checkout -r 1.6 which warned me that the current file had been deleted,
but gave me 1.6.

I made my changes, but now and can't seem to reintegrate them. Here is a what happens
when I try to do a cvs commit

brian@linux-dev:~/src/scripts> cvs commit tkcorrespond.pl
cvs commit: sticky tag `1.6' for file `tkcorrespond.pl' is not a branch
cvs [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!

How do I commit this? I suppose I would want it to be version 1.8

brian

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/