slow sending mail

I have exim, fetchmail and mutt working.  It was great this morning and then
early afternoon I began to have trouble.  When I would send a message
sometimes mutt would tell me it was in the "outbox" at other times it would
tell me the message was "sent".  Fetchmail would hang when I would try to
get mail.  I have two isp's and both were the same in that regard.  The
messages I did send didn't arrive for an hour or two later.  All the while I
could send and receive email almost instantaneously through Outlook express
so I'm thinking it isn't my isp's but my mail configuration.  I looked
thought the archives and didn't see anything that helped.  Has anyone had
this happen?
Thanks,
kent