2 ?'s, Pon & normal users, colour in config programs.

I tried putting normal users in /etc/group under dip like this:

dip:x:1000:1001

still, the computer says, permission denied to /usr/sbin/pppd.  Did I
configure it incorrectly?  Is there anyway to get this working?  If, not
is there any text-mode dialers that don't need root clearance?

Also, I was wondering if there is anyway to get colour support turned of
in the configuration programs (modconf, pppconfig, etc.)  I know during the
installation it asks you if you have a monochrome or colour monitor, but is
there anyway to change it now?

Thank you.