Re: I won't be asking another!

On Sat, 08 Apr 2000, Tim wrote:
>After asking a simple yes or no question and geting
>20 answers I'm sorry I even thought of using Debian!!
>Now I'm geting unwanted e-mail of your members calling me
>names because I asked them to please stop!! What follows
>is the last unwanted e-mail that just came in!

What is your problem?  You ask a question and get it answered.  More than one
answer arrive because more than one person knows the answer, this is what
happens on mailing lists.
Then you send out a message saying that people are offending you by answering
your question.  Such a message is extremely offensive to the people who spend
their valuable time helping people like you without getting paid for doing so.
Now of course people are suggesting that you are stupid for intentionally
offending people who offer you help.  Why does this surprise you?

In case you haven't realised yet, as long as you keep posting to a mailing
list people who have opinions on the matter will keep replying to you.  If
you don't want replies then you won't write messages.

Could you please give me more identifying information on yourself?  If you
have any other email addresses then please tell me what they are.  I want to
avoid accidentally assisting you with any computer problem you may have in
future.  Also please tell me your age.  If you are a child then I'll
reconsider this decision when you turn 18.

I don't expect people to thank me when I spend my time solving their problems
for free.  But I do expect them to refrain from being even 10% as offensive
as you are.

As a final note, you complain about getting 20 answers.  Every day I get at
least 200 emails (sometimes as many as 400).  Of those emails at least 50 are
from people just as clueless as you (but who are much more polite).  I don't
get offended by people asking simple questions like "does Debian support SMP",
sometimes I even answer such questions.  Sometimes I let others answer them
(plenty of people with less experience than I are capable of answering such
simple questions so I can concentrate on more difficult and interesting
questions).
I don't flame people for asking simple questions.  I flame people who have
serious attitude problems in the hope that they will realise that they are
doing the wrong thing and start to behave better.  Incidentally I have only
come across a few people on the Internet who are as offensive as you.  Due to
this I would be happy to devote my entire efforts in this regard towards
educating you on an attitude that will work on the Internet.  If you don't
understand some of what I am saying, or disagree for some reason then please
let me know and I can expand greatly.

Russell Coker

PS  I have CC'd this message to debian-user because it is the correct forum
for end-user support for Debian.  The debian-user readers who aren't
subscribed to debian-devel can check the archives if they want to see your
history.

--
My current location - X marks the spot.