bootup message and ppp

Hi!

What does the message "S30.serial: Permission denied" during bootup
mean?

The ppp dial-in is still unreliable. Usually the first attempt fails,
but sometimes the following attempt does not work either. Communication
with the serial interface seems to work, but sometimes it does not
establish the connection and sometimes it keeps on negociating with the
other side unsuccessully and shuts down the line.
I used the same settings as in RedHat, but the RedHat-ppp works without
problem. First shot - and you are online. There I use a ppp-up and a
chatscript and shut the line down with a killall pppd.
What might be the problem? Once the connection is settled, it seems to
be stable.

Regards,

Kerstin

--