Re: fetchmail / s10/10.0.2.15

On Sun, Apr 09, 2000 at 08:54:20PM -0500, ktb wrote:
> I don't think the last message I sent went through due to me
> changing some things in the rc files.  Ayway I will start over.
>
> I changed the "poll" section in .fetchmailrc and now I get:
> $ fetchmail -c mail.inebraska.com
> 8 messages for xyf at mail.inebraska.com (17181 octets).
>
> So it seems I am closer once again but when I try:
> $ fetchmail -av mail.inebraska.com to get my mail all I get
> back is a command line.

Which is, actually, what I think you should be getting ...

> Here is what I have in .fetchmailrc:
> ------------------------------------
> # This is what the developer's .fetchmailrc looks like:
>
> set daemon 300  # Poll at 5-minute intervals
... because of this line.

> defaults
> #       interface "sl0/10.0.2.15"       # SLIRP standard address
> #       user esr is esr fetchmail-friends magic-numbers here
>         fetchall
>
> # Use this for production
> poll mail.inebraska.com protocol POP3:
>     user xyf
>     password xxxxxxxxxxx;
> ---------------------------------

I'd bet that if you run 'ps aux | grep fetchmail' you will see a line
something similar to:
mike     17617  0.0  1.1  1676  752 ?        S    20:48   0:00 fetchmail -d 120

(Note: I run fetchmail a bit differently than you, so it'll most likely
look a bit different on your system.)

The line I marked in your .fetchmailrc says to run fetchmail in daemon
mode.  It won't do anything noticeable right off.  But every 5 minutes
it'll go check every mail server defined in your .fetchmailrc and grab
all of the mail from those servers.  That mail will then end up in your
incoming spool, unless you have done something odd with exim.

To get something more like what you are probably expecting, comment
out the line that says 'set daemon 300', do 'fetchmail --quit', and
then try again.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"