RE: usb keyboard + mouse and xfree86

I must have some magic 2.2.14 kernel then, because my usb keyboard works.
I'm not sure how to test my usb mouse outside of X.

My question is about X. Is there a way to have my usb keyboard at least
recognized by X? Will upgrading my kernel help me to get my keyboard and
mouse recognized by X?

Kendall