Re: ppp

Hi John,

On 9 Apr 2000, John Hasler wrote:

> Kerstin writes:
> > why does pppconfig save the nameserver entries in a separate file
> > /etc/ppp/resolv and not as reported in /etc/resolv.conf?
>
> When ppp comes up the dynamic-dns script in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d copies
> /etc/resolv.conf to a safe place and replaces it with the appropriate file
> from /etc/ppp/resolv (you can have a different file for each of several
> ISP's).

Does that mean, if I have a local network configured with my machine
being a local nameserver, that it ceases to function as such, when I
start to dial in? :-/

(I had a look: In /etc/resolv.conf the entry 192.168.1.1 is indeed gone
...)

BTW, it looks like the ppp-dialin is a little bit unstable. I generally
have to dial twice or even three times to establish a line. Sometimes
the dialing does not work. Sometimes there seems to be a negociation
problem and the line is shutdown after some send/receive flickering of
the LEDs. What might be the problem? What do the EchoReq and EchoRep in
/var/log/debug mean?

Regards,

Kerstin

--