sending mail / exim problems

I'm making my first attempt at running electronic mail.  I have exim,
fetchmail and mutt installed.  Right now I'm attempting to send mail.  From
what I understand exim is the program that sends the mail out from mutt.
Anyway when I try to send mail to my local isp this is some of the error
messages I get in /var/log/exim/mainlog:
-----------------------------
Start queue run: pid=10633
12eIpD- jo-00 == fkent@fire.one T=local_delivery defer (-
6): mailbox /var/spool/mail/fkent has wrong uid or gid

12eIpD- jo-00 Frozen

12e8Iw-0000Zy-00 == root@fire.one T=local_delivery defer (13
): Permission denied: failed to chdir to /root
End queue run: pid=10633

12eJLJ-0002pK-00 ** xyf@inebraska.com R=lookuphost T=remote_
smtp: SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM: <fkent@fire.one>
SIZE=1432: host mail.inebraska.com
[199.184.xxx.xx]: 501 <fkent@fire.one>... Sender domain must exist

I don't know exactly what this means but it seems to me that somehow mutt or
exim is sending out the host name of my computer and the mail is rejected by
my isp.  I've looked through the /etc/exim.conf file (I used the default
example file) and the .muttrc file and don't see how this all works.  How
can I get around this problem?  How can I change the sender domain and have
it be valid?
Thanks,
kent