RE: no wonder...

>   Not really; the whole thing is presented as a problem but it doesn't
show
> you clearly what it's done to try to resolve it, nor does it let you
> accept/reject some of those changes in "blocks".  Simple example.. I
> selected gnome-admin for install, and I get a conflict screen which
looks
> approximately as follows:
>
> EIOM Pri Section  Package      Description
>   _* Opt admin    gnome-admin  Gnome Admin Utilities (gulp and logview)
>   _* Opt libs     libobgnome0  Objective-C - Gnome bindings
>   _* Opt libs     libobgtk1    Objective-C - Gtk bindings
>
> ==
>
> gnome-admin  not installed -  ;  install (was: purge).  Optional
> gnome-admin depends on libobgnome0 (>= 1.0.40)
> gnome-admin depends on libobgtk1 (>= 1.0.40)
>
>   It shows this if the cursor bar is over gnome-admin itself.  The thing
is,
> it's not really clearly presented to you what dselect has decided.  In
this
> case, it's just installing 2 more packages, but even that isn't clearly
> obvious, despite the flags... to say nothing if the changes had been
greater
> (including recommends and conflicts).

What I don't like about apt/dselect is how they treat packages locally
compiled from source tarball. I couldn't find an option to really ignore
dependencies and do what I say.

Specifically, if I want "esound-alsa" but have compiled the ALSA
drivers/libs/utils myself, neither dselect nor apt let me install it
because it depends on some ALSA packages. Now, there is a [Q] option
explained in the conflict resolution screen which should retain the exact
state I select - only it doesn't work as expected or even
deterministically.

1) It drops me back at conflict resolution, with its "suggestions"
selected again
2) The main menu appears. If I select install, it wants to remove all of
gnome!

Perhaps I could get the deb manually and install via dpkg and a few force
options, but that's hardly optimal...

<whishlist>

A package state that tells the package managers that "the functionality of
this package is provided locally, treat it as if it was installed"

An option to reset the selection status of all packages to their actual
status

</whishlist>

Maybe I just didn't read enough docs...

Christian