slink and /usr/share/man/

I recently went to look something up and found my dpkg man pages had
gone missing. A brief search found them under /usr/share/man/.

I have dpkg 1.4.1.18.99.slink.0 which I got from

deb http://www.debian.org/~vincent/ slink-update main

There are other packages I've obtained from unofficial sites that have
deposited their man pages under the /usr/share/man/ tree.

I assume this is because they were "converted" from potato to slink, and
that man pages in potato have moved from /usr/man/ to /usr/share/man/.

What I need to know is: is there a "proper" way to tell man to look for
man pages in /usr/share/man/ _in addition_ to the places it normally
looks?

My RTFM-ing would seem to indicate that /etc/manpath.config is the
proper place. The MANDATORY_MANPATH mapping is obvious, but I'm
concerned about the MANPATH_MAP mapping. There are no many-to-one
mappings in the current file. Is it proper to have both the following
lines?

MANPATH_MAP     /usr/bin                /usr/man
MANPATH_MAP     /usr/bin                /usr/share/man

And what to do about /var/catman/ ?

Thanks,
 Pann
--
geek by nature, Linux by choice                     L I N U X       .~.
                                                    The Choice      /V\