Re: Fooling apt-get about new kernel?

On Fri, Apr 07, 2000 at 10:41:24AM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How to temporarily trick apt-get not to try to install the new kernel
> 2.2.14-3 until I have got the time to build a new one based on the
> most recent sources, 2.2.14-4?
>
> I have an smp system, patched for gart, and my current kernel is based
> on the 2.2.14-2 source, version 2.2.14-2smp. Since the distributed
> kernel is newer, 2.2.14-3, this version should naturally be installed
> if I did not have an smp system. Of course, since the base versions
> are 2.2.14, you can always answer no every time to the install
> script. Better solutions?
>
> What about Debian distributing smp kernels? Other distributions do!

I'd say compile your own kernels with debian's kernel-package and use
epochs in the revision:

$ fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=2:smp.1.2 kernel_images

Why Debian doesn't distribute smp kernels, I don't know. I guess they
figure if you have an smp machine, you'll want to recompile the kernel
anyway.  Their default kernels are probably only compiled for 486's, so
you'd see a few performance gains just compiling it for a 586 or 686.

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |