Subject: Re: no wonder...

To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

Sender: Donald MacDougall <dmacdoug@petunia.hsc.usc.edu>

On  7 Apr, Kent West wrote:

> Richard Taylor wrote:

>> On 4/6/2000, 9:03:41 PM, Oki DZ <okidz@pindad.com> wrote regarding
Re:

>> no

>>  As compared to something like... say... notepad?

>>  What's difficult about selecting things from a menu?

> I really shouldn't add to the noise on this thread, but I'm going to
anyway.

> 1. Nothing's difficult about selecting things from a menu. It's when
those selections

> bring up other screens wanting to add/delete other things, which
affect other things,

> which makes the user want to get out, and none of the keystrokes seem
to work like a

> beginner (not someone who has read the docs and EXPERIENCED the
experience) would

> expect. There's just a host of things that are difficult about
deselect and apt.

> There's a host of good about these products also; they're just not
intuitive for the

> non-initiated.

I agree that this probably isn't the most appropriate forum for

discussing ways to improve on dselect but, like Kent West, since this is

where this thread has been developing, I will have my say on it here as

well.

I now use dselect quite a bit and think it is wonderfully capable and

helpful and is probably one of the best things about debian, but it

wasn't always so.  When I first tried to use it I was to the point of

accusing it of being a work of the devil.  So, let me suggest what I

think are the biggest problems with it for the beginner.

I think the biggest problem may also be the simplest to remedy, and

that is that the help menu on keystrokes is too cryptic and isn't out

where you can see it when you need it the most.  The very most

important keystrokes are buried down at the bottom, and probably have

not been memorized by the beginner before he begins, namely, X, Esc and

R.  The beginner needs to be fully aware of these and the need to back

out if he gets in over his head, before he is committed beyond

redemption.  A more verbose list of commands with some of the more

important ones a little more prominent would be very helpful to the

beginner and if it were possible to have the commands listed on the

screen at the same time as one is attempting to use the commands rather

than having to memorize them or write them down, that would be even

more helpful.

Another thing that would be very helpful (and perhaps it exists and I

just have not yet found it) would be an easy way to just back up to

where one was a moment before, but not all the way to the beginning.

So, say you see a package on the list that you think you might like to

install, and so you hit the + key.  Then you find that it requires

about 300 other packages that you don't have installed, and some of

them conflict with others that you do have installed and are more

important to you than this new one that you just decided to try.  What

you would like would be a sort of a back button or an undo that would

just back-step one step at a time.  Now, as I said, maybe it already

exists, but if it does, a beginner certainly wouldn't easily find it by

looking at the keystroke help page.  So then he is left with the choice

of either slogging ahead into potentially dangerous territory, or of

quitting and losing everything that he had done up till then and just

starting over.  It would be very useful to be able to see just how

complicated a problem you are about to get yourself into before you

commit yourself and then to back out gracefully if that seems wiser

than going ahead.

Another thing that would be really nice would be a way to see

the packages listed in the same order more than just one time in a row.

By that I mean that, when you first update your list of available

packages, then go to the select menu, you will see a list of the

packages which have changed up near the top of the list.  But if you go

to making some selections, and then make a mistake somewhere along the

line, or if you just quit after only doing half the job you would like

to do, and then restart dselect later, you will never see that same

list again.  Those packages that were listed near the top once, will in

the future be integrated into the long long list of packages, some in

the list of packages that are installed and some in the list of

packages that are not installed.  It would just be really nice to get a

second shot at that list that you saw the first time.

Now this has already gone far too long, and I don't know if this long

winded listing of beginner problems as I see them sounds familiar to

anyone else or if these are just my own peculiarities, but these are

the things that I found to be problems when I was new to Debian.  In

fact, even though I use dselect often, now, I still don't really use

many of the keystroke commands it offers because of two things:  a)

they aren't on the screen as a memory aid when I might be likely to

need them and so I just use the ones I can remember, and b) the help

screen is so cryptic that I still don't really understand, for sure,

what a given command will really do, and what I might want to use it

for.  Now, perhaps, if I were to print out all the documentation, and

go through it thoroughly, and really understand everything about the

program comprehensively before I started, I might answer a lot of these

questions for myself, but I have not every done that, ?and I don't think

many other people do that either.  The natural human tendency is to

barge in and then try to figure out what to do as one goes along.  And

programs that are designed to be easy to use usually take this human

tendency into account and allow you to barge in and yet not get

flattened by problems that you couldn't have possibly foreseen.  One of

the best things that makers of software installers for Windows and

Macintosh have done is to put in the back buttons that allow you to go

back through your choices before you actually commit yourself.  I know

that something like this would be a really big project for a program

like dselect, but if Linux is to ever become an operating system that

large numbers are going to be able to cope with, some such thing will

need to happen.  And I have not used any other modern version of Linux

other than Debian,  all others that I have used were years ago and were

much more primitive, so I don't really know what else is out there

today and I'm not making any comparisons or saying anything is better

than anything else.  But this question of whether dselect is easy of

hard to use seems to be debated over and over again on this list, and

there always seem to be some people saying "what could be easier" and

others saying it is hard for beginners, and then it all just dies

until the next poor unsuspecting beginner has the temerity to complain,

and then it gets rehashed all over again.  It seems to me that a few

fairly simple amplifications of the help screens and perhaps a few

slight changes to the keystrokes could make a big difference in the

beginners first encounter.  Some other changes which would make dselect

truly user friendly would be much more labor intensive and would

require some sort of a new user interface.

I doubt anyone is still reading at this point, but at any rate I've

shot my wad so there.  I know that, Debian being an all volunteer

organization so to speak, if anything is going to get done it requires

vulunteers to do it, and so, if I have all these ideas I should be

putting them into action.  Maybe a dselect HOWTO that could be referred

to as the program is used would be one option (or does one already

exist?).  I wish I felt qualified to write one, but I would need to

learn how to really use the program rather than just bumble along with

it as I now do before I could really do anything useful.  Also, I'd

have to find that other's share my view of the problem, otherwise I'd

just be writing it for myself.  I may be trying to talk myself into

something I'm not really prepared for here so I'll have to think about

that a little longer before going any further with it.

Feedback positive and negative accepted and sorry for going on so long.

Donald MacDougall

dmacdoug@hsc.usc.edu