Re: Speed restriction

** On Apr 07, The_Phantom 74 scribbled:
> Hi
>
> I would like to set up a router or something using ethernet to connect two
> LANs but be able to restrict the bandwidth to 512kb/s so it behaves like a
> leased line...and easier to charge for.
>
> Any suggestions??
Yup. iproute2 package (you've got it in Debian) plus iptools (also there).
You have to compile in the QoS support into your Linux kernel (2.2.x or
above) - CBQ, SFQ/RED/TBF, the U32 classifier and with these you'll be able to
nicely shape the traffic. Also, go to:

http://snafu.freedom.org/linux2.2/
http://www.ds9a.nl/2.4Routing/

These will give you a good start on the topic. After that (hmm... or better
before :) - read the TeX documentation from the sources of the iproute2
package.
Once you become familiar with the above, I suggest you take a look at
http://netfilter.kernelnotes.org/ and read about the next generation of
filters for Linux - it will come to you in 2.4, so you better start getting
acquainted with it - it has also a bit to do with trafic shaping and QoS.

good luck,
marek