console lockups with potato's X

Upgraded my machine from slink to potato last weekend.  Since that time,
if I return to my machine after leaving it idle for several hours, I
find that the console has locked up.  No mouse, no keyboard, and just a
remnant of a screensaver on my screen -- or sometimes it's completely
blank.

The machine actually is still running fine; I can ssh into it from
another machine on the network and reboot it.  I can't seem to solve the
problem without rebooting though.  I have tried switching to another
console, hitting Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, etc. and nothing works, presumably
because the keyboard isn't working at all at this point.

I have looked in the process list prior to rebooting; one time X was
apparently still running so I killed it off and it didn't make any
difference.  Otoh, most of the time X has exited (it's not in the
process list).  But it doesn't appear to matter.

I am running the xfree86-common package version 3.3.6-6, and using the
XF86_SVGA server on an ET6000 card.  I am using the same settings that I
had been using under slink (no problems there).

I have left the machine running overnight just in console mode (no X)
and everything is fine, so it does have something to do with X.

The plot thickens after last night though: I left it running in X again,
but I changed my xautolock line in my .xsession to use "-mode blank" to
lock the display.  And this time, my machine appears to be fine.

So, I guess one of the screensavers (normally chosen at random by
xautolock) is causing this?  Is that what I should be looking for?

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to more effectively
track this down?  I plan to try all of the screensavers one at a time
but that will be a time-consuming process and I would appreciate any
ideas on what else I can do about this.

Thanks!