Re: siocsifflags

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000, David Gisborne wrote:

> I installed debian 2.2.13 and am running a etherlink 3c509b card.
>
> The 3c509 modules seems to be loading correctly because I can do an
>
> ifconfig eth0 but when I enter
>
> ifconfig eth0 up
>
> it says "SIOCSIFFLAGS: resource temporarily unavailable"
>
> I am assuming this is because it isn't probing for my isa card correctly
> and I must do an alias with options but what is the best way to find out
> the hardware address and irq of this card. I don't know what they are.

You must download the 3c509b setup disk from 3com's web page and use the
setup utility to configure the irq and io-ports of the card. Last time I
checked it was only available for MS-DOS :(

The other way to do it is to try each irq and io address in turn until it
happens to work. You can get some hints by looking at /proc/interrupts and
/proc/ioports to see which are currently busy. But of course it's best to
know and control which resources are used by your card.

Regards,

Pontus

--
Pontus Lidman, pontus@mathcore.com, Software Engineer
No matter how cynical you get, it's impossible to keep up.