Potato install: pcmcia broken?

Boy, I sure do pick loser subject lines! (was: Order of installation -
 potato/pcmcia.) Second try:

Hi gang!

What am I doing wrong? I copied linux, install.bat, base2_2.tgz,
driver2_2.tgz, loadlin.exe etc. etc. to a DOS partition on my Toshiba
4080 XCDT, then booted from a DOS floppy and ran install.bat.

The installation looks great (congratulations, team!) up to "reboot
the system": the boot hangs in /etc/init.d/pcmcia, right after it
echoes "modules" to the screen. The pcmcia modules all show
unresolved symbols. Don't they fit the 2.2.14 kernel that comes with
the installation? Is something broken, or is there an operator error
here?

(I can Alt+Ctrl+F2 out of the dbootstrap routine and disable the
init.d/pcmcia script before rebooting, but then what--go to dpkg and
install kernel and pcmcia module sources and recompile before
finishing the installation? That can't be the intended behavior.)

Tony

-- Tony Crawford
-- tc@crawfords.de
-- Phone: +49-3341-30 99 99