Internet Access

Greeting,

Thanks to all those who have helped me get my first Linux system up and running these last few days. I finally got X up and running today, and after seeing WindowMaker, I doubt I'll ever have a need for Microsoft again. However...I have one last problem to tackle: I cant seem to access anything on the internet using hostnames. I know the network card is working alright because I can use ftp and ping and such to reach other machines if I use the IP address, but when I try something like ftp://dtp.debian.org I get a hostname not found error.

My home configuration is such that I have one of those Linksys EtherFast cable routers tied to one of my machines and to the cable line. I also know that it is configured as a DHCP server, and that under MS Windows I must disable DNS. Might I have to configure somesort of DHCP daemon or something to get my Linux box to be able to respond to hostnames?

All previous and future help is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Steve