Re: make-kpkg

Antonio Rodriguez <arodriguez@worldnet.att.net> writes:

> To use the make-kpkg (kernel-package) it is said that must be used
> in a top linux source directory.  What exactly does it mean?  An
> empty directory with only some file such as
> kernel-source-2.2.14_2.2.14-4_all.deb?  I want to make my own
> kernel.

As root do

bilbo:~# apt-get install kernel-source-2.2.14 libc6-dev gcc make \
         bin86 fakeroot

If you want a curses based menu to configure your kernel, something
I'd heartily recommend (haven't tried xmenuconfig, though), also do

bilbo:~# apt-get install libncurses5-dev

Then as you do

you@bilbo:~$ tar -xIf /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.14.tar.bz2

This puts a kernel-source-2.2.14 directory in your home directory.
This is the top linux source directory make-kpkg is talking about.

The rest is in the docs ...

BTW, there is absolutely _no_ reason to extract the source code into
/usr/src somewhere.  Personally, I think that goes against the grain
of the FHS anyway.

--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development