Re: XF86Setup

> Steve White wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>
> I have an ATI Rage 128 XPERT 2000 video card and the XF86Setup program
> does not seem to be able to start x after I finish the configuration.
> It says it is attempting to, then the screen goes dark and stays that
> way until reboot. Any suggestions?
>
> Best Regards,
> Steve

I'm not familiar with that card, so can't give any specific help, but
just to see if you can get *something*, when asked to choose a card,
select the Generic VGA "card", and then when asked to make monitor
setting selections, choose something low, like 800x600 at 8bppp. Later
you can try other settings.

When the screen freezes, rather than rebooting, try Ctrl-Alt-F1 or
Ctrl-Alt-F2 to switch to a different virtual terminal. From there you
can kill the XF86Setup process. Much easier on the system than hitting
the reset button (which it sounds like you may be doing).