Re: no wonder...

Antonio Rodriguez <arodriguez@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> That is a good point. May be it would be a good idea to implement some
> kind of way to
> have a visual field of packages available, with short explanation and
> link to wider
> explanation (or link-option-command), accesible from within the
> system, without
> needing to surf the debian site. Especially when you are new to UNIX,
> or the packages
> are new, the task of deciding what you want and/or need may be too
> much.

You might like to look at the Storm Linux Package Manager - it is a
front-end to apt and allows one to browse and search installed *and
available* packages and see the descriptions etc.. The nice thing I
think is that once you tell it to process your selections it closes and
brings up an xterm where it runs apt-get. Once the packages have been
installed and configured, it asks if you want the downloaded packages
deleted, then returns you to the GUI. Very nice.

If you want to have a look, get it from:

ftp://ftp.stormix.com/storm/dists/rain/main/binary-i386/sl-stormpkg_1.0-1_i386.deb

Better still, add this to your /etc/apt/sources.list and you should be
able to request it using apt-get:

deb ftp://ftp.stormix.com/storm rain main contrib

If you are using Potato, replace 'rain' with 'potato'

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work on a standard Debian distro.

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Storm Linux 2000