Creative SB Live! 1024

Hi,

I try to get my new Creative SB Live! 1024 soundcard to work with
esound (for GNOME). It seems to work only with ALSA, but the newer
version 0.5, not the older one. I have successfully compiled the alsa
modules from the alsa-sources deb, the card works from the command
line, but then I'm stuck, because both the esound-alsa and
libesd-alsa0 packages depend on libasound0.4 or libasound0, whereas
libasound0.4 depends on alsa-base-0.4, and there is no libasound0,
only libasound1, which depends on alsa-base_0.5.6.

Seems I'm got stuck. I tried to compile esound from the sources, but
make failed with an Error 1 (error message at the end, if someone is
interested).

Hoping someone can help,
joachim

===================================
Error message from compiling esound:

In file included from audio.c:25:
audio_alsa.c: In function `esd_audio_open':
audio_alsa.c:54: `snd_pcm_playback_params_t' undeclared (first use in this function)
audio_alsa.c:54: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
audio_alsa.c:54: for each function it appears in.)
audio_alsa.c:54: parse error before `params'
audio_alsa.c:88: warning: passing arg 1 of `snd_ctl_open' from incompatible pointer type
audio_alsa.c:114: warning: passing arg 1 of `snd_pcm_open' from incompatible pointer type
audio_alsa.c:148: structure has no member named `channels'
audio_alsa.c:168: `params' undeclared (first use in this function)
audio_alsa.c:186: structure has no member named `channels'
audio_alsa.c:191: too few arguments to function `snd_pcm_file_descriptor'