Re: Install XFree86 4.0 on Potato

"Alex Kwan" <alexkwan@pacific.net.hk> wrote:
>Now I have another lesson to learn, it's install the XFree86 4.0
>(non .deb packages) on Potato.
>
>I have already download the necessary binary files of Free86 4.0
>(following to the XFree86's document), but I am afraid that if I
>follow the instruction of XFree86 to install (us Xinstall), it will make
>the dkpg system confuse (my debian box do not have X Window right
>now), which way is the better way to install the XFree86 4.0  on Potato?

It will probably confuse dpkg somewhat, yes, although perhaps not too
badly if you don't have X installed already. Don't expect dependencies
to work without some fiddling around with the equivs package. You might
be able to build and install it into /usr/local or /usr/local/X11R6 if
you then symlink /usr/bin/X11, /usr/include/X11, and /usr/lib/X11 to the
appropriate places, but at your own risk.

The best way if you don't already know what you're doing is probably to
wait for the Debian XFree86-4.0 packages to be released for woody; at
that stage you'll probably still be able to install woody packages on
potato without too much trouble. See:

  http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-user-0003/msg00973.html

--
Colin Watson                                           [cjw44@cam.ac.uk]