Re: ipmasq and howto

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 14:47:20 -0600, matt garman <garman@uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Thanks for all the help!  But unfortunately it's not working.

You're probably really, really close to succeeding. :-)

It -sounds- like all the bits are working, but 'forwarding' is not fully activated; that your roommate's requests are not getting out the door because they don't know where the door is.  That can be either a glitch in your routing setup, or 'forwarding' itself is not enabled.  Do:

 cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

...and see if "1" is the result.  If not, re-do the 'echo' command that puts "1" there:

If no success after that, do:

 ipchains -L

...and you should see "(policy ACCEPT)" for the three 'chains'. If that's okay, do:

 ipchains -M -L

...and see if the MASQ entry is still present -- dunno why yet, but we're experiencing that entry's disappearance from time to time; 'diald' or somebody is deleting it, I think, when being taken down, and not putting it back up again.

Also useful:  Your roommate's computer should have a 'hosts' file and a 'resolv' file (or whatever Mr. Gates may have used in place of those :-).

 -- Jeff --   <http://www.wellnow.com>

 "There's nothing left in the world to prove.  All that's worth doing
  is to love one another, using whatever means are available to serve."