Re: Compaq 5300

"Jens B. Jorgensen" wrote:
> I'm not sure quite what you mean. Do you mean you don't have any room on
> The Millers wrote:
> > Dear Wonderful Deb_Ian People, I would like to move forward with
> > exploring a Linux system using a Compaq LTE 5300 laptop. The method by
> > which I can load the kernel/OS is limited to diskette. What would be
> > the best way way to proceed from this point using Debian's
> > Linux? Thank You Very Much for Your Time, Jerry Miller

Well, assuming that he means that he only has
the ability to install using floppies (i.e. he
is intending to install to the hard drive as
normal).  This is my recommendation:

1) Download and create the rescue disk & boot
   floppies according to Debian installation guide.

2) Install the base system on the laptop, with
   the appropriate configuration options for
   whichever of the following is easiest for you:

  A) Install a laptop modem (PCMCIA type, for
     example). Should cost about $50.  (?)  Of
     course, if you've already got a modem, you're
     in luck.

  B) Ethernet card (assuming your laptop has
     PCMCIA you can probably pick one of these
     up for $50-$100).  Of course, this is only
     useful if you have an internet-connected
     ethernet to which you can attach the
     laptop, but this was the method I had
     selected.

  C) Parallel port CD-ROM install. You'll need
     one of those laptop CD-ROMs that install
     through the parallel port.  This is
     probably $100.

  D) *FREE* Install SLIP or PLIP and network
     using the parallel or serial ports on
     the laptop. (But, sorry I don't know how,
     I just know you can do it).  I'd guess
     this is the hardest, but it has the
     advantage of not requiring new hardware.

3) Proceed with the complete install (via dselect)
using the source method that you chose above.

I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS, and I'm no expert, but
I did work this out as a plan for myself, when
I was considering buying a 701 Thinkpad, and I
thought it might be useful to you.

Best of luck.

P.S. -- Mr. Miller, is your username really "untitled" ? :)

--
Terry Hancock
hancock@earthlink.net