Re: Help

On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 11:21:32AM -0800, Erik Ryberg wrote:

--------------------- snip ----------------

> My only point in all this (I think I'm the one who started it) was to respond to the
> word "sadly" in the above phrase, "sadly . . . people are coming to Linux with zero
> understanding of command line . . ."  (I realize I've altered that quote a little
> bit.)  People can't help it.  Most people in the real world do not use Unix at work
> and virtually nobody has it at home.
                                         They do now :-)

>                           Linux is their first introduction to this way of
> doing things, and it's a pretty steep curve when you are trying to work it out at home
> after work.

'Steep curve' is an understatement - 'bewildering' is more like it.

> I know because I am one of those people - reasonably fearless and
> proficient with computers, but I've never even touched a machine with Unix installed
> on it. (of course I have mucked around in DOS)   I don't think it is sad that people
> are coming to Linux with no Unix experience.  I think it's great.  That doesn't mean I
> think anything should change about Debian to accomodate them, it just means we should
> be careful to be welcoming and not elitist, because even if it makes you feel cool,
> elitism never helps in the long run.  That's all.

	Well said.

>  I meant to nudge gently the
> language used, not urge any wholesale OS changes.

Have you ever seen the book "The Unix Programming Environment" by
Brian Kernighan and Rob Pike ?  It's one of those rare books which
says little and teaches you a lot.  That book gets my vote as a model
for welcoming tone and clear presentation (it can also teach you a lot
about Linux).  I only mention it because I haven't seen one like it for
Linux.  Although, IMHO, "A Practical Guide to Linux" by Mark Sobell
comes close.

Regards,

Robert Mognet