Include directories

Hi,

I installed some software from the net, for which I needed to compile a
kernel module.  The compile went fine (except for some warnings), but
when I went to insmod the module, insmod would say that this kernel
module was compiled for 2.0.36.  I figured that's because when I
installed Debian slink it installed the include files for 2.0.36, but I
then upgraded to the 2.2 kernel series.  I booted with an old 2.0.36
kernel and the module worked fine.  So I went back to 2.2.14 and tried a
new kernel with "Include version information on all modules", but that
wouldn't help, because depmod would complain about "unresolved
references".  So I looked into /usr/include, renamed linux to linux.old
and created a softlink to /usr/src/linux/include/linux.  I also had to
softlink /usr/src/linux/include/asm, and after that, the compile went
fine (even without the warnings) and the module installs without a
problem and works flawlessly.  (Well, the software is still segfaulting
on me, but that's cause it's written poorly.)

So basically my question is: Is it OK to softlink the include
directories?  Or does the "don't mess with anything, but
/usr/local/"-policy aplly and is there a Right Way [TM] to change the
development environment?  What other directories have to be changed
(/usr/include/scsi seems to be a good candidate, too.)?

Oh, BTW, the software I was talking about, talks to an MP3-Player
through the parallel port.  It's a project mentioned in the German
computer magazin c't
(URL:http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/projekte/mp3player_1/art.shtml).

Thanks for help,
Viktor