dpkg --set-selections failing silently

This is with slink's dpkg.  For reasons I don't understand, some
packages don't get set by --set-selections and no explanation is
given.  Currently I've only noticed this with libpng2-dev, librx1g-dev
and zlib1g-dev.  Example:

flanders:/usr/local# dpkg --get-selections |grep png
libpng0g                                        install
libpng2                                         install
pnmtopng                                        install
flanders:/usr/local# echo libpng2-dev install |dpkg --set-selections
flanders:/usr/local# dpkg --get-selections |grep png
libpng0g                                        install
libpng2                                         install
pnmtopng                                        install

I've had similar problems when missing dependancies were at issue, but
that doesn't seem to be the case here:

flanders:/usr/local# apt-get install -d libpng2-dev
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  zlib1g-dev
  libpng2-dev zlib1g-dev
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 21 not
upgraded.
2 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/264kB of archives. After unpacking 829kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]