running gmc remotely

Hello,
I have a problem using gmc when I have telnet'ed to another
machine.  I have two potato (frozen) systems, a laptop and a
desktop

I run X on the laptop and allow connections for X apps using
the 'xhost +desktopname' command.  I then open a telnet
session from the laptop to the desktop.

In this telnet session I issue the command 'gmc' to run the
gnome midnight commander.  This runs fine, except that it
gives me the file system of the laptop, not the file system
of the desktop that I am telnet'ed in to.

Does anyone know why this happens and more importantly how
to change it so that I can see the desktops filesystem
remotely!!

I am running gnome-session to control X and the window
manager, so I assume that this might have something to do
with it.  I cannot find any documention that discusses this
issue.

Any help is appreciated.

Johnny.
begin:vcard