Re: Help with module problems on Upgrade to 2.1

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Gregory Guthrie wrote:

> I am running Debian 2.0, upgraded from ... (libc5), and trying to upgrade
> to 2.1.
>
> When I do an apt-get upgrade, it complains that:
>      "Sorry, but the following packages are broken.."
>
> and halts. When I try to repair the problems using dselect, I cannot seem
> to get out of a circle which won't let me remove the broken ones, nor
> configure them, due to dependencies. Probably there is some correctness to
> what it reports, but it feels like I am "stuck in a maze of twisty-truney
> passages, which all look alike"!  :-)
>
> It all seems to start with libpam-util; Details attached.
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Greg, good to hear from you.

When I've run into these types of problems, I usually have to use
dpkg manually to force the updates.  You'll have to be careful that
you don't totally mess-up the system by making sure you have the
update required packages as deb files.  apt-get stores the
downloaded deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives/.  You can then
use a combination of "dpkg --force --remove" and "dpkg --force
--install" to update your system.  Executing dpkg on multiple
files at the smae time also helps.

If you need more specifics, please ask.

--
Jean Pierre