Re: fresh compile, "unresolved symbols" complaints

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Jeff Gordon wrote:

> So I did my very first kernel compile, and all appears to have gone
> well -- except, I'm seeing a long list of messages during boot (that
> don't seem to be logged anywhere and are gone from the screen before I
> can copy 'em down), each line mentioning "unresolved symbol" and naming
> a lib file.
>
> The system seems happy and stable; I'm not aware of any trouble this
> might be causing....  Should I be concerned?  Or, is there some way to
> invite these messages to go 'way...?

How did you install your kernel? Did you use make-kpkg to make a
kernel-image package and install that or did you try to install it by
hand?

If you installed by hand, is the new kernel the same version as the old
kernel? If so, did you possibly forget to move the old modules dir out of
the way before installing the new modules? If you compiled some things
into the kernel that used to be modules, modutils may still be trying to
load the module and seeing the old module that was not built with the new
kernel, you may be getting all kinds of unresolved symbols.

Those are just guesses but you need to make sure that the new kernel,
modules, and system map are all in the right places. make-kpkg does this
for you so I suggest at least look into using it to build kernel packages
for Debian.