Re: printer port

	Subject: printer port
	Date: Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 07:53:09PM -0500

Quoting Sandy Shapiro(sshapiro@ucsd.edu):
>| I have a computer where Linux will not recognize the parallel port. (OS/2
>| and DOS do recognize the port).
>|
>| I tried changing CMOS so that IRQ 7 is Legacy/ISA instead of PNP, but that
>| didn't make any difference.
>|
>| Any other suggestions?

Yes, don't use an IRQ on the printer port.  It isn't required and
could be used by something else.

That said, what kernel are you running?  Which port isn't being
recognized?  ie  2.0 kernels used lp1 & lp2, 2.2 kernels use lp0 & 1.

Is the printer configured in the kernel as a module or not?

Your question is too general to answer with precise answers.

Have you read the printing howto?
/usr/doc/HOWTO/Printing-HOWTO.gz

If your using the 2.2.X kernels, have you read
/usr/src/linux/Doc*/parport.txt

HTH

--
I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.