delete key acting like backspace

I have _no_ idea how this started happening, but recently, the two
programs I type in the most (Eterm, emacs) have started treating my
backspace key the same as my delete key. (others such as xterm and
gnome-terminal work but gnu-cash doesn't).

I've seen people struggle with this kind of thing before so I'm sure
someone out there will know the answer for me, but beyond fixing the
problem, does anyone know _why_ this behavior would start? I'm running
potato and keeping pretty up to date with the "tip".

Thanks!

Jonathan

--
jjlupa@jamdata.net