quotas

Hello, here is a message I sent to the linux-admin list.  I am
re-sending here because I have another question following this one.

************
Is this normal and just undocumented?  Or is it documented somewhere...
or is it a bug?

I was having some trouble getting quotas to work and after some fiddling
I discovered the following behavior.

If I have the following line in my /etc/fstab everything is fine:

/dev/hda2   /    ext2   defaults,errors=remount-ro,usrquota    0     1

But previously I had been using this:

/dev/hda2   /    ext2   defaults,usrquota,errors=remount-ro    0     1

The lines are the same except for the order of the last two mount
options.

Well, if I use the second method, instead of creating "/quota.user" and
storing quota information in that file, quotacheck writes the file into
"remount-ro" (a file with that name) into my current directory!

I am using Debian slink with a 2.2.14 kernel.  I had a friend of mine
try it on his Slackware 7 box and his does the same thing.

Apparently quotacheck thinks "errors=remount-ro" is an argument to
quotacheck or something.  Anyone know why this is happening?  Shouldn't
I be able to order the options any way I want?
************

OK it does seem that the quota utils are thinking the "=remount-ro" is
an argument, and they should not be doing this.  It also does this on a
Red Hat 6.0 system I tried (as well as the Slack 7 as I've mentioned).
Should this be reported as a bug to the author/maintainer?

Also, I have been having a problem implementing quotas on my slink
machine.  I am running a 2.2.14 kernel which I think may have something
to do with it.

I have an account "jim" which "repquota" claimed has about 1500000
blocks in use.  While I was testing out the quotas, I set jim's soft and
hard limits to 2000000.  So, he should have been fine -- but for some
reason repquota says he is over quota!

I figured it might be because of the 2.2 kernel on the system designed
for 2.0.  So I did an "apt-get --compile source quota" of the potato
source for the quota package, and installed it.  Well, now repquota
thinks I am using about 9000000 blocks (which is closer to being
accurate, I am using just over 1.2 GB with 1K-sized blocks).  But,
setting the limits to 2000000 (or even 1500000 for that matter) still
says I am over quota.

All of this works fine on my other computer which is running potato.

Any opinions on how I might get this to work (not including upgrading to
potato, I will be doing that soon but not yet)?

TIA.