Samba + Win98: Please, help

Hello, Debian Users.

On server I use samba from current potato.

On client under Win98 I have tried to install on samba share disk the
applications.  But there are a lot of applications which crashes when
installed on Samba share. These applications are M$ Office, Netscape etc.
These applications starts and crashes, or the Setup program crashes etc.
It seems that some files installed are broken. When I do the following:

1) subst d: c:\
2) install the applications on d:
3) remove disk d:
4) map samba share as d:
5) move apps files onto d:

all apllications works !!!

So what is my problem? Why the the applications directly installed on
network samba disk do not work properly?

Does anybody have this problem?

Thank you very much for any help!

--
Serge Gavrilov