Re: xf86config

Your X configuration is working.  You aren't running any X clients
(programs which run under X Windows).  What you see is the default X
background and cursor.

To add clients, take a look at your /etc/X11/Xsession file, or
~/.xsession.  You can also launch your own clients from a console, say
virtual terminal 1.

>From your X session:

    <alt><ctrl><F1>
    # You are now at virtual console 1.  Presumably this is where you
    # launched X from, if not, log in as the same user your X session is
    # running from.  If you have another console session, you should be
    # able to find it by pressing <ctrl><F[2-6]> -- the "Control" key,
    # and any of function keys 2-6.
    xterm -display :1 &   # launches an xterm window.
    <ctrl><F7>            # should bring you back to your X session.

>From here you can run additional X clients, including if you chose a
window manager such as fvwm, windowmaker (wmaker), KDE (startkde), Gnome
(gnome-session), etc.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/