Re: How to extract *.deb's from binary archive in /var/cache?

Olaf Stetzer <stetzer@itu.fzk.de> writes:
OS> I use my online-machine here in the institute to download packages
OS> I need at home by simply installing them via apt/ftp and then take
OS> the downloaded files from /var/cache/apt, carry them home on a
OS> zip diskette and install them there with dselect.
OS>
OS> Now it semms that the downloaded files are not longer stored
OS> simply in /var/cache/apt but stored (compressed?) in one single
OS> file with the ending .bin.

Like 'pkgcache.bin' and 'srcpkgcache.bin'?  Those are just databases
APT uses to know what packages are available and where they can be
downloaded from.  There's no actual packages in there; the actual
packages still live (as always) in /var/cache/apt/archives.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell