Re: Kernel 2.2.x and Physical Memory

> If I'm not mistaken, I read that the 2.2.x Kernel and later no longer made
> you add:
>
> append="mem=128M"
>
> ..to lilo.conf to get it to use more than 64MB of RAM (in my case, 128MB).

2.2.x is not 100% correct - it became superflous with 2.2.10 or something
like that - at least on my system.

> I have 128MB of physical memory, yet it's only picking up 64 megs using
> Potato and 2.2.14.

there seems to be no real standard for the bios to declare memory above
64M, so support for your bios may be missing.

> I've also read (please forgive me for not remembering where) that using
> `append' to force detection can cause weird things to happen.

it could, if your memory is organized in a strange way (memory hole,
etc.) or if you specify just too much.

> Should I just compile a new Kernel, or is just using append="mem=128M"
> perfectly fine?

just do it. if it works - all fine. if not ... :-(

Linux - the last service pack you'll ever need.