Re: Removing compiled-by-hand packages [WAS:] Potato - update-alternatives and window managers

On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 04:00:44AM -0300, Taupter wrote:
> > ... But, since there are pretty current versions of
> > gnome in potato you might use those...
>
> Surely it woulb be _very_good_ idea, along with communicator and a
> really _huge_ stuff I have in, but I really afraid about messing my
> system with broken dependencies and so... Ok, removing almos all the
> bunch I have would be a great idea too... but I have some questions to
> ask:

Understandable trepidation...

> 1. Does Debian install any stuff inside /usr/local ?

Never! Well, almost never. There are a couple empty directories created
for perl, python, tex, ghostscript, others... (Those are for *you* to
add modules/extensions -- not debian packages).

> 2. Is secure to the system integrity to _wipe_ /usr/local (no
> daemons/services stored in /usr/local and such issues)? The sense of
> _wiping_ /usr/local means removing files/symlinks from /usr/local/bin,
> /usr/local/lib and such.

Only ones you've installed. You'll still want /usr/local, though.

> I'm a bit short of space in my /usr partition, and it would be
> "useful"... :)

If you remove your versions, and install the debian versions, it's sort
of a "half a dozen of one vs. six of the other" kind of thing. If you
have drive space somewhere, you could move /usr/local to a new
partition, thus giving /usr more room.

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |