Re: printcap problems, please help

Hi,
I had a look at your printcap file and compared it to mine.
I can't find anything wrong, so let me tell you how I
tested my printer:

1) Test hardware + basic devices:

ls -l  > /dev/lp0

This sends the directory printout to your printer device
directly (i.e. without any filtering). Unless you have
one of those Windows-only (host-based) printers this
will usually produce some kind of output.  In any case,
if it doesn't you have a more basic problem than your
printcap. Maybe you've done this already, though. Also
makes sure you're using the right device name.

2) Make sure that your magicfilter file exists and
is executable. Of course, if it isn't, you shouldn't
hear anything from the printer.

3) Sometimes if the printer reacts, but doesn't print,
it means it's waiting for a form feed.  On some
printers you can give it one from the printer's front
panel. Otherwise, you can feed one straight to the
device to check. (I don't remember how to do this
offhand, but I know you can).

ALSO, I just noticed that with the Linux 2.2 kernel,
your first parallel port (~LPT1 in dosspeak) is
/dev/lp0. However you mentioned Slink, which is based
on the 2.0 kernel.  With that one, I had the first
printer port as /dev/lp1 in my printcap (I had to
fix this when I upgraded the kernel).

Well, maybe one of these suggestions will help.

--
Terry Hancock
hancock@earthlink.net