kernel config question(s)

After looking through much documentation, I'm
still not sure whether I have the info I need.
Going through the config stuff to build a new
2.2.14 kernel (up from 2.2.11) I notice that the
previous parameter of 'CONFIG_IP_ALWAYS_DEFRAG'
is now missing or not offered in this 2.2.14
kernel config.  I have found that it is in the sysctl
docs and directory (/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_always_defrag)
and is off by default.  My questions are these:

Is it true that this now needs to be set 'manually'
somewhere in the startup scripts ?

Is there some utility other than
  'echo 1 > /proc/sys/...{etc}' that can be used?

and
I may have overlooked the docs for this sysctl
feature.  Where might I find the clearest explanation
of how and what parameters are the most important and
what the default settings are compared to the previous
kernel configs.

thanks,
--
tony mollica