Re: weird perl behaviour

On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 03:25:20AM +0200, spectral@hangar18.campus.luth.se wrote:
> I have seen this discussed earlier, but i can't remember what to do about
> it.
>
> When i start perl it says:
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>         LC_ALL = (unset),
>         LC_CTYPE = "iso_8859_1",
>         LANG = "C"
>     are supported and installed on your system.
>
> How do i fix this ?

I think the problem comes from having LANG="C" but
LC_CTYPE="iso_8859_1". Try setting your LANG environment variable in
/etc/environment to something that uses iso-8859-1 (en_US, en_UK, and
most? western European languages). The iso-8859-1 character set defines
twice as many characters as "C" (ASCII), and uses 8-bit encoding as
opposed to 7-bit for ASCII.

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |