Re: esound, lesstif, debian issues

On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 05:06:48PM +0100, Lepus wrote:
> Hi.
>
> First of all, it is quite interesting that I didn't get a single reply on
> my question about the esound dependency problems. Am I he only one who
> would like to use Gnome and Alsa at the same time under Potato? :)
> Well, anyway.

What was the problem?  Right now, I'm doing some research to put
together a sound program for linux, and I was under the impression
that a program written for OSS/Free would work with Alsa.  Since
esound is written for OSS as far as I know, I would think that it
works under Alsa.  Correct me if I'm wrong, though.  It would mean
that I have to do some more reading.

Actually, after I wrote this, I find that I am wrong.  Esound is
written using the Alsa API, too.  So you should definitely be able to
use it with Alsa.  Reading the source sometimes helps. :-P

But correct me if I'm wrong about a program written for OSS being able
to run on Alsa.  I can't imagine that the Alsa people would break all
the other sound apps and still have a user base.

Cheers,
Chris Gray

--
pick, pack, pock, puck: like drops of water in a fountain falling
softly in the brimming bowl.