Re: gshutdown for non­root users? / gdm blank screen

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 02:18:14PM +0100, Dr. Michael R. Semple wrote:

> My second question concerns gdm.  I've set things up within Gnome so
> that the screen turns on a screensaver after 10 minutes and then
> enters powersaving mode after another 20.  The only problem is that
> the users generally log out before leaving the computer.  In this
> state, with the gdm login dialogue showing, the screen does not enter
> powersave mode.  Is there any way to enable shutting down the console
> monitor?

add the following lines to the Screen section of /etc/X11/XF86Config:

   StandByTime 0
   SuspendTime 20
   OffTime 25

change values to suit your preference.

also add:

   Option          "power_saver"

to the Device section.

this makes the power save settings global to the X server instead of
per session with xset, which i presume is what you are doing now.

don't know about gshutdown, what i did was make a windowmaker button
that runs /usr/local/bin/shutdown which is a script that exectutes
sudo shutdown -h now.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/