Re: ssh loading at startup

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Bart Friederichs wrote:

> > manually as described above. Read the man page on update-rc.d (symlink
> > management program), also read the Debian faq at:
>
> When I just manually remove any links in an rcX.d directory, is that a way
> to disable servers etc. at startup?

You got it, but why do it manually? use the update-rc.d program. Keep in
mind that your /etc/inittab defines your default run level. The run level
corresponds to the 'X' in /etc/rcX.d. Whatever symlinks are in the dir
will cause the linked scripts to be executed in the appropriate manner and
order by initd. Read the /etc/inittab file. It's the config file for
initd. As long as your inittab file is untampered with, it should be
highly commented with good info regarding run levels and other init stuff.

Jason