Re: Difference between woody and potato

On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 07:44:58PM -0500, Marshal Kar-Cheung Wong wrote:
> I'm a bit confused about woody and potato.  I though that potato is
> always the newest, bleeding edge distribution.  And that woody is the
> code-name for the 2.2 release.  So why is unstable pointing to woody,
> and frozen to potato?  I found this out when I tried to get gimp1.1
> and found it not there, even when my sources.list is pointing to
> unstable.  Mind you, gimp1.1 should be in unstable anyways, I think,
> since it's going into 2.2.  (or is it?)  Clarification and corrections
> are appreciated.

potato and woody are just code names. The actual "unstable" is bleeding
edge, and frozen is the next release. Currently potato is frozen (a la
Debian 2.2) and woody is the new unstable. Sooner or later potato will
release and become unstable...then some time down the road woody will
freeze and become frozen...and the whole cycle starts again (but something
else will be the new unstable, not sure of the code name though).

Ben

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '